Friday 13 April 2012

Strangers: Nice people waiting to be introduced.

Yesterday I was waiting in a queue at a fruit shop check out when I received a call from Julia (daughter and hero) to read me a letter she had received from her brother David. The letter was so full of love that I got a bit teary.
I did notice the young lady watching me, so I signed off as I reached her.
She asked if I was OK, and as she packed the groceries, I replied that I had just been read a letter from a son who died last week.
All packed, l turned to leave, but in my confusion, had not paid. She called after me the amount and I was so embarrassed to have been so absent minded, I must have looked totally lost.!
As I paid, she asked me what was wrong, so I told her I was a bit preoccupied, thinking about the funeral tomorrow (now today).
Then when I was a few metres down the mall, I heard her call to me again.
As I turned, she ran up and handed me a beautiful jam roll cake.
She pressed it into my hands and kissed me on the cheek then whispered; "This is for after the funeral" and she was gone! I had never been to that shop before and had never met her, so the tears started over again.
I just though you would like to know this.

17 comments:

  1. A little kindness does both participants a world of good.
    Be strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often the kindness that brings tears to the eyes - lovely story Stafford and sending you my thoughts on this tough day for you (and a big parenthesis hug)- (((((((Stafford))))))) - I probably spelt that wrong but who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such an evocative time, this time when you say goodbye to your son, you need all the generosity the world can muster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Blessings…both the letter of love, and the lady's actions.

    Thinking of you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Blessings…both the letter of love, and the lady's actions.

    Thinking of you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lost a long comment. Never mind. My thoughts are with you and those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. generally speaking people are pretty wonderful if they are given a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such an emotional time for you all! Hope today goes well (you know what I mean)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice girl! Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes God sends such wonderful blessings in the hardest times. I prayed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. now I'm a bit teary. Bless her heart for the impulsive lovely gift of caring. Lucky you-lucky her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A moving episode, Stafford! I'm sorry! Glad there are still people with a heart!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so sweet and so sad. Just shows there are still nice people all over the world. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are kind people left in this world. Just when you think everyone is a heartless cynic, someone full of kindness will come along. I am glad you experienced this beautiful moment. Hugs to you xxx

    ReplyDelete

(leave a message)